Thursday, April 11, 2013

Paleo and Crohn’s

So it has been a while since we have updated the blog. Actually I have never updated it , not even once. I might have conveyed some thoughts to Gena but it has been all her. Recently we’ve been researching and trying to implement the paleo diet into our lives as there are numerous testimonials on how it has helped those with some kind of IBD or auto immune disease. It initially started by me giving up any type of restaurant that had a drive thru and committing to eating 3 to 4 paleo meals during lent. Since lent I have also given up soda although with any old habit it is hard to kick. I admit that I do slip up and drink a soda every now and then but I’m no longer pounding a 32 oz back every day. The increase in energy, mental focus and the way my gut reacted convinced us that as a family we needed to do this all the time for not only my health but everyone’s. Hopefully when we go to Mayo at the end of May we will be able to see the results of how our new lifestyle has impacted our lifes.


My goal is to impact someone else’s life who has Crohn’s or any other disease through showing them my struggles and how I try to overcome them. I’m going to share how I am feeling, what I am eating and a bunch of other things hopefully if the idea in my head comes to fruition. Hopefully I can also put some pictures and recipe’s of the food we make to show everyone that eating paleo is very doable.

Last night we made curried skirt steak w/ creamy mashed carrots and it was absolutely delicious. Who would have known that carrots could taste that good!



Curried Skirt Steak
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
.5 teaspoon pepper
.5 teaspoon minced garlic
2 lb beef skirt steak

Preheat broiler. Combine oil, curry powder, salt,
pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Rub mixture
evenly over both sides of steak. Place on a
roasting rack in a pan. Broil 4 to 5 minutes per
side or until desired degree of doneness. Let
stand 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the
grain.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Creamy Mashed Carrots
1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
14 oz can coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Place carrots in a large saucepan; cover with
water. Bring to a boil; cook 18 minutes or until
tender. Drain and return to pot over medium
heat; add coconut milk, salt and pepper. Mash
with a potato masher until creamy and heated
through.


We have even started to brew kombucha. Here is our first attempt of blueberry-pomegranate kombucha.




Alex

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My one and only true vice - Coca-Cola. I don't smoke and rarely drink any alcohol but I cannot kick my Coke habit. Have tried a few times but always come back to it.

Tyson said...

Cannot wait to see all the great things that will come from this!