Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Full-Speed Ahead

If someone would have told me that I would have mowed and edged our yard in the same day a month ago, I don’t know if I would have believed them. Then added that I also cut down the ornamental grasses, trimmed the rosebush and still had more than enough energy to chase Lydia around Monkey Bizness for a birthday party. I most definitely would have called you crazy. This Sunday I did all of these things and still had energy at the end of the day. What a significant difference our new lifestyle has had on my overall health. It makes me wonder at times when I fight this internal battle to give in but ultimately most of the time I reflect on how great I feel and want that to continue.


This weekend we tried numerous new recipes. The key for us is that we signed up for e-meals, paleo dinner plan, which has given us new ideas and takes the guessing out of what’s for dinner. It is also very helpful because every week it gives you your shopping list at the grocery store. I try to sprinkle in little treats here and there from the web (mostly from paleomg.com or civilizedcavemancooking.com). Today we are exactly one month away from my Mayo appointments. Here are some of our favorites from the week.


Huevos Rancheros (we used hot Italian sausage instead of chorizo)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 lb raw chorizo, casing removed
12 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan. Cook 8 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a paper towel-lined pan. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add eggs, salt and pepper to pan. Cook 4 minutes, stirring gently, or until just set. Stir in cilantro. Serve eggs over chorizo.

Shrimp Scampi
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
15 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup white wine
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
¼ cup minced green onion
3 tablespoons minced chives
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and garlic to pan. Cook 3 minutes. Add wine, lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook 1 minute. Stir in onion, chives, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.

Gena really liked the following recipe.

Wilted Spinach with Pine Nuts
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 (5 oz) bags baby spinach
½ cup pine nuts
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add spinach and pine nuts. Saute 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir in salt and pepper.


On Saturday as a treat I made these banana pancakes from Paleomg.com. They were delicious. Lydia couldn’t get enough!

http://paleomg.com/hearty-banana-granola-pancakes/

I can’t tell you how much the Paleo diet is changing my lifestyle, day by day I am feeling a difference. My crohn's feels under control and isn't dictating my life as much as it has in the past.

Blessings,
Alex

3 comments:

Tyson said...

Such awesome news! I love hearing about your progress and the benefits you are seeing. I cannot wait to hear how your Mayo appointment goes. Keep up the great work!

Cass said...

The vanilla bean pancakes with berry topping on paleomg.com are also fantastic! We didn't make the topping, just used honey....but even Coop loved them. Have you guys tried the fudge? It is Klaudia's favorite.

Alex and Gena said...

We haven't tried the fudge yet but Gena really wants too.